Monday, December 31, 2012

Christmas Eve 2012

Christmas Eve 2012

Dear Tulip,
It's Christmas Eve.  I know that probably means nothing to you right now.  Your life today will be the same tomorrow no matter what the date on the calendar reads.  But I wanted to let you know how OUR Christmas Eve has changed because of a little girl with lopsided pony tails and an extra chromosome.
 As I am writing this,  Daddy, Anne, Isaac and Clara are walking around downtown Hamilton looking for the lowest members of our society--the drunks, the drug addicted, the lonely.  We have prepared a gift for them-a small stocking stuffed with a few new things and a hand written Christmas card. 





Tulip, you have taken us out of our comfort zone.  Somehow, loving you has awakened a sense of responsibilty to the forgotten and vulnerable around us.  Did you know that when I was in the grocery store this week  I missed a chance to defend a vulnerable man?  I watched and listened as two able minded grown men taunted another man (who was clearly mentally disabled). I am so ashamed that I didn't step between them.  Tulip, that may be you in 20 years--you might have a job at a grocery store and work with other adults who think their life is of more value than yours.  Obviously, I need to start praying for boldness.

Thanks to you our family has spent the last 24 evenings thinking and praying about the stark contrast of the life we live in Bermuda and the life that you live in China. Between the life of a child with a family and the life of a child without a family. We have collected nickels, dimes, quarters and dollar bills to help an orphan just like you in Africa.

 Precious child,  it is my prayer that Christmas Eve 2012 is the last one you spend without a mommy and a daddy, two sisters and two brothers.  I pray that God will bring us together at some point over the next 12 months so that you and I will both grow in our understanding what love true love is.
Merry Christmas Tulip!
Love Mommy
P.S. I bought you a present--okay two presents.  They are waiting here for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment